Four people, seven days, one car — the road trip we’ve done through Scotland last month was every bit as amazing as one would hope it’d be. Edinburgh, Fort William, the Isle of Skye: It just became more and more beautiful the further up north we went. In many places, I had flashbacks to my time in New Zealand. What a pretty world it is we live in — a world full of experiences waiting for the keen traveler.
Some of the things we’ve experienced, I have listed below. Try some of it if you make to it Scotland yourself. More photos and the detailed route are available on Pablo’s blog.
- Eat haggis. Then read what’s in it.
- Visit the Isle of Skye.
- Drink a sip of water from a mountain creek.
- Ask a local about their favorite whiskey and drink a glass with them.
- Cuddle a lamb. If you can.
- Eat a lamb kebab. If you want.
- Spend a night in a stone cottage.
- Be spontaneous, call a B&B only an hour before you arrive.
- Watch the movie Trainspotting.
- Touch gorse (Stechginster), a plant with yellow blossoms that grows everywhere.
- Listen to traditional live music in a pub.
- Ask the barkeeper for advice where to go next.
- Visit Bruar Falls and stroll around in the magical fairy woods around.